Disclaimer: Area 52 prides itself on being a family-friendly comic store, so I feel obligated to put this out there. Rat Queens is a great book, but it’s not one for the kids. It includes adult themes, contains crude and vulgar material, and may even contain a few images I can’t publish on this site. But it is also intelligent, hilarious, insightful, and even occasionally touching which makes it a good read. It definitely gets my recommendation.
The Rat Queens are returning with a brand new Number 1 on March 1st after nearly a year-long hiatus.
Who are the Rat Queens:
The Rat Queens are the honey badgers of the D&D-inspired adventuring world. They’re female fantasy ass-kickers. They’re hard drinkers. They party hard. They are the crazy adventuring group your party always devolves into after a session or two of trying to play it serious. They are the Rat Queens:
- Hannah – rockabilly elven mage who gives no… cares
- Violet – hipster dwarven warrior who shaved her beard to spite her family’s traditions
- Dee – atheist human cleric (formerly in a cult devoted to the N’Rygoth the flying squid god)
- Betty – the happy hippie halfling thief
- Braga – the newest addition, an orc warrior; formerly a member of the Peaches, the Rat Queens main rivals
Who is this book for?
- This book is definitely for adults. Kids should go nowhere near this.
- This book is for people who love D&D, Pathfinder, or other fantasy tabletop adventures.
- This book is for people looking for strong female characters who don’t feel a need to constantly remind everyone that they’re strong female characters.
- This book is for people who love the counter-culture, go against social norms, and want to be themselves instead of what people say they should be.
- People with a high tolerance for four letter words.
So, what’s the deal with the new number 1?
Rat Queens was originally launched back in September 2013 to critical acclaim. In the middle of their run, they lost their artist (Google it if you’re really interested), and the book just wasn’t the same. They went on hiatus for a while to get their stuff together. Eventually, their stuff did indeed come together. The new comic is a soft reboot of the series as well as a continuation of the original run. It’s a great jumping on point for new fans and everyone who enjoyed the original 16-issue run.
Here is the official solicitation:
“CAT KINGS AND OTHER GARYS,” Part One-NEW STORY ARC! The Rat Queens are back! Betty, Violet, Dee, Braga, and Hannah return! Palisade is still a rat-infested troll’s ass, and everyone still hates Gary. It’s been a while since the Queens have done a good slaughter, so join them as they get back to the basics of killing monsters and drinking away the profits! A fresh, soft reboot to the head for the Rat Queens with artist OWEN GIENI!
Where can I find Rat Queens?
You can find Rat Queens comics and trade paperbacks at your favorite comic store, Area 52 Comics and Games! Some other guys may sell it also, but we haven’t really checked.
We’re located at:
3640 Mundy Mill Rd Ste 140
Gainesville, GA 30504
You can call us at 678-943-2591.